Director of Development
Kirkland, WA • Starting immediately
Time Commitment: Full Time, Exempt
Location: On-site, Flexible
Pay: $60,000 to $70,000
Reports to: Executive Director
About Kirkland Arts Center
Kirkland Arts Center (KAC) is a regionally recognized non-profit using the arts to ignite individual growth and self-expression, build community spirit, and cultivate cultural vibrancy.
Kirkland Arts Center seeks a Development Director to join our tight-knit nonprofit community and contribute to a vibrant, arts culture on the Eastside. For nearly 60 years, KAC has served Kirkland and the Eastside, and now offers a wide array of visual arts classes and contemporary art exhibitions, all within the historic landmark Peter Kirk Building. This is a unique opportunity for a candidate with strategic vision to grow a comprehensive development program.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Director of Development will lead all of KAC’s fundraising efforts, including individual gifts, major gifts, private and public grants, corporate donations, and special events. In this role, you will partner closely with our Executive Director and governing Board of Directors to ensure the long-term financial sustainability of the organization.
Above all, the Director of Development should be committed to ensuring our fundraising and development activities are carried out in an inclusive, responsible, and ethical way. Candidates should be committed to fostering a culture of transparency, inclusivity, curiosity, and collaboration.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
General Leadership & Management
- Serve as a key thought partner to the Executive Director and other members of the Executive Team especially on fundraising, communications, membership, volunteers, and events.
- Serve as the hub for KAC fundraising, leveraging the talent, expertise, and energy of staff and community members, and fostering a culture of philanthropy.
- Work with and provide training for KAC’s Board and senior leadership team to enhance fundraising activities, an overall culture of philanthropy, and to solicit and close gifts.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Marketing and Communications Director to devise a robust annual communications strategy to drive investment and improve reputation locally.
- Participate in meetings, organizational functions, partner events, and community events necessary to perform job responsibilities and/or to represent KAC
- Ensure the ethical and appropriate financial administration of contributed income, including overseeing the donor and prospect records, gift processing and donor stewardship functions.
- Ensure consistent data collection and entry into database by compiling, analyzing, and reporting development data
- Other related assignments at the direction of the Executive Director.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and the Board’s Development Committee to prepare and execute an annual Development Plan that articulates an overall vision and strategy for raising required funds from three categories – individual donors, corporate sponsors, and grants/contracts.
- Develop Donor Stewardship Plan, Sponsorship Levels, and other donor-driven plans. Spearhead the fundraising strategy that is planned around individual, corporation, foundation giving.
- Manage the work of the Development & Grants Coordinator, including overseeing KAC’s grant proposals, grant reporting, maintenance of donor records, donor communications, and monitoring and evaluation plan.
- Solicit corporate sponsorships and steward relationships with corporate partners.
- Organize and oversee all fundraising and cultivation events including annual gala, president’s cocktail, end of summer block party, and monthly donor events.
- Create and manage annual Development/Contributed Revenue budget.
Our Ideal Candidate
We are seeking a person with a passion for the arts and a commitment to growing within the role.
Kirkland Arts Center seeks people who value a growth mindset—people who are willing to do things differently, test ideas out, fail and get back up again. We hope to find someone who is curious and can lead people with their heart, while vulnerable and authentic. We expect you to share our values of trust in one another, transparency, integrity, cross-cultural respect and sensitivity, and celebrating small wins.
Given the nature of the work Kirkland Arts Center takes on and the demands associated with a mixed remote and in-person model, the new Director of Development will need to be a nimble and creative leader with emotional intelligence, compassion, patience, a sense of humor, and strong interpersonal skills.
Specifically, we are looking for:
- 6-8 years of progressive fundraising/development experience with a proven fundraising track record that includes managing foundation relations, annual funds, corporate giving, online and traditional direct response appeals, individual donor cultivation, and special events.
- Previous experience in creating systems and building infrastructure needed for fundraising success.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and an ability to develop trust and maintain deep relationships with a variety of diverse students, partners, and community members.
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to plan out campaigns, create and meet deadlines, manage complex schedules, communicate through challenges, and stay highly organized with competing priorities and information. Operates with thoughtfulness around accomplishing goals.
- Positive and enthusiastic style capable of motivating others, and experience in team management.
- A collaborative approach to problem-solving, including the ability to pivot to meet immediate needs, or address unforeseen needs as they arise.
- A persistent commitment to communication in the face of challenge.
- Proficiency with Google Sheets, Documents, Forms, Calendar, and Gmail and a willingness to learn new programs and systems.
- Grant writing experience preferred.
The strongest candidates will have:
- Direct experience within the arts community, which can be in a combination of volunteer, academic, or professional work
- Enthusiasm about advocating for the importance of the arts to our communities.
What You Will Accomplish
During the first month you will:
- Deeply learn how to articulate Kirkland Arts Center’s mission, strategic goals, and programs.
- Work with our Executive Director to review and understand our multi-year strategic fundraising plan, past fundraising outcomes, and current open projects and goals.
- Familiarize yourself with our systems, including Google Drive and Little Green Light.
- Get oriented to upcoming End of Year Campaign activities.
- Meet with staff, board members, key major donors, and selected community partners.
- Attend your first board meeting.
After your first three months, you will have:
- Successfully directed an End of Year fundraising campaign with the support and partnership of our staff, including organizing an end of year gathering and making direct asks of donors.
- Initiated planning for our 60th Anniversary Spring Gala in collaboration with our events committee and Executive Director.
- Launched our sponsorship program and secured several sponsors for the upcoming year.
- Built positive relationships with our board, staff, and core supporters.
- Taken an art class at our facility!
Hours, Location & Conditions
Kirkland Arts Center is based in Kirkland, Washington. Our team works in the historic Peter Kirk Building, as well as remotely. This role is flexible, based out of our building.
Weekly hours: 40
Compensation: $60,000 to $70,000 depending on experience
Benefits Kirkland Arts Center offers medical and dental, as well as one free art course per quarter.
KAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within our staff, students, and governing institutions. Candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to
email@example.com with subject line: DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
Apply by October 3rd, 2021 11:59 pm.